About the Book
Book: A Dangerous Legacy
Series: Empire State #1
Author: Elizabeth Camden
Genre: Christian Historical Romance
Telegraph operator Lucy Drake is a master of Morse code and has made herself a valuable asset to the Associated Press news agency. But the sudden arrival of Sir Colin Beckwith at rival British news agency Reuters puts her hard-earned livelihood at risk. Colin is talented, handsome, insufferably charming—and keeping a secret that jeopardizes his reputation.
Despite their rivalry, Lucy can’t deny that Colin has the connections she needs to give her family an edge in the long legal battle they’ve been waging over their rightful inheritance. But when she negotiates an unlikely alliance with him, the web of treachery they dive into proves to be far more dangerous than they ever could have known.
Click HERE to purchase a copy!
A Dangerous Legacy by Elizabeth Camden is an outstanding story. In an attempt to contain myself — I could easily write a full treatise on how amazing this novel is — I’m simply going to share my top 5 reasons why I believe A Dangerous Legacy is a must-read novel.
- A Dangerous Legacy is one of the most engaging novels I’ve ever read. I literally could not put the book down. It was one of those reads where my actual world disappeared. At one point, my daughter called out to me for a full five minutes before I even registered she needed me. I was hooked by the highly-engaging storyline and hated having to put this book down.
- Attention to historical detail. Camden has included a textbook-amount of detail within the pages of this novel, but I never once felt like I was reading a textbook. I learned about telegraphing, Teddy Rosevelt and his fight for the Panama Canal, plumbing, and life in New York in 1903, and enjoyed every second. In fact, the historical detail added to my engagement with this novel and is a large part of why I stayed up until 1 AM finishing this book.
- The romantic tension is superbly done. Colin sees Lucy, Lucy sees Colin, and sparks fly … from page 1. It is clear from the very beginning that Lucy and Colin make the perfect match, but life would say otherwise. Colin needs to marry an heiress, and Lucy can’t marry anyone at all. They attempt to just stay friends, but how is that possible when it’s a soulmate situation?! Lucy and Colin are like magnets — when they are close enough in proximity their chemistry brings them together by an unstoppable force. The best part — their kisses. I may have swooned a little.
- Camden portrays evil viscerally. This may seem like a really weird thing to like, but I did immensely. Now, I’m not a creeper or anything like that. I’m not a fan of the devil, and I hate evil tremendously. But, I appreciate when the villain is real-life, super bad because when he falls he falls hard. It makes for a satisfying ending. Ever since I was a little girl, my favorite storyline is the one where justice is served. And in A Dangerous Legacy justice is served for sure!
- Camden deals with my #1 fear and reminded me how to overcome. The thing I fear the most is being forced into a really bad situation against my will. I loathe the very idea that someone with enough power and money could manipulate a situation to make it so that I have to do something or go somewhere I don’t want. There is a moment in A Dangerous Legacy where Lucy is forced into an evil, awful thing totally against her will because of a vile, greedy, narcissistic group of people. I was terrified for Lucy. I’m actually not sure I breathed during those chapters. What I appreciated though is Lucy’s recognition that even in the absolute worst of times we are not alone. We may feel alone, but God is always with us. We just have to look for Him. After reading this reminder, my fear level for Lucy went from a 10 to a 1. Because the truth is, God makes us strong enough to face anything this world can throw at us.
A Dangerous Legacy by Elizabeth Camden is a masterful story that I love so, so much. I am very sad my time with Lucy and Colin is over. I cannot recommend this novel enough. To me, it is a definite must-read!
I purchased a copy of this novel in eBook form from Amazon.com on October 11, 2017, in order to review. In no way has this influenced my review. The opinions expressed in this review are my own.
2 thoughts on “A Dangerous Legacy (2017)”
I enjoy an engaging novel. Love your review!!
LikeLiked by 1 person
Thank you! 🙂
LikeLiked by 1 person