About the Book
Title: The Belle of Belgrave Square
Series: Belles of London #2
Author: Mimi Matthews
Genre: Historical Fiction, Historical Romance
Publisher: Berkley Romance (October 11, 2022)
A London heiress rides out to the wilds of the English countryside to honor a marriage of convenience with a mysterious and reclusive stranger.
Tall, dark, and dour, the notorious Captain Jasper Blunt was once hailed a military hero, but tales abound of his bastard children and his haunted estate in Yorkshire. What he requires now is a rich wife to ornament his isolated ruin, and he has his sights set on the enchanting Julia Wychwood.
For Julia, an incurable romantic cursed with a crippling social anxiety, navigating a London ballroom is absolute torture. The only time Julia feels any degree of confidence is when she’s on her horse. Unfortunately, a young lady can’t spend the whole of her life in the saddle, so Julia makes an impetuous decision to take her future by the reins—she proposes to Captain Blunt.
In exchange for her dowry and her hand, Jasper must promise to grant her freedom to do as she pleases. To ride—and to read—as much as she likes without masculine interference. He readily agrees to her conditions, with one provision of his own: Julia is forbidden from going into the tower rooms of his estate and snooping around his affairs. But the more she learns of the beastly former hero, the more intrigued she becomes.
- “A grand cross-class romance, a twisty mystery, and emotional internal struggles combine to excellent effect…fans and new readers alike will root for this well-earned love story.”— Publishers Weekly (starred review)
- “[C]ombines deception, risk, and a resourceful heroine to create an intoxicating, suspenseful romance. Highly recommended.”— Library Journal (starred review)
- “If you’re a fan of Beauty and the Beast, this regency romance will rapidly become a new favorite of yours. Wallflower meets an infamous war hero in this fascinating and intriguing love story.”— BuzzFeed
- “Mimi Matthews never disappoints, with richly drawn characters and couples whose individual shortcomings become strengths, when paired together. In this Beauty and the Beast retelling, we get to root for two underdogs who get to rewrite their own stories.”— Jodi Picoult, #1 New York Times bestselling author of Wish You Were Here
- “The Belle of Belgrave Square is such tremendous, good fun: a heroine with a big horse, an even bigger novel-reading habit, and a hidden anxiety; a hero with a crumbling estate, a trio of wary children, and a literary secret—what’s not to love? Mimi Matthews paints Victorian England with vivid humor, and her Belles of London is set to go on for at least a few more much-anticipated installments. Julian Fellowes fans will rejoice!”— Kate Quinn, New York Times bestselling author of The Diamond Eye
About the Author
USA Today bestselling author Mimi Matthews writes both historical nonfiction and award-winning proper Victorian romances. Her novels have received starred reviews in Publishers Weekly, Library Journal, Booklist, and Kirkus, and her articles have been featured on the Victorian Web, the Journal of Victorian Culture, and in syndication at BUST Magazine. In her other life, Mimi is an attorney. She resides in California with her family, which includes a retired Andalusian dressage horse, a Sheltie, and two Siamese cats.
VICTORIAN READING ROOM
Join Mimi at her Victorian Reading Room Facebook Group for exclusive access as she shares her love of writing, historical romance, Victorian fashion, brooding heroes, independent heroines, and of course, her beloved pets!
READ AN EXCLSUIVE INTERVIEW WITH MIMI MATTHEWS
Discover intriguing insights into The Belle of Belgrave Square and Mimi’s writing life in this exclusive interview at austenprose.com.
I loved every minute of The Belle of Belgrave Square by Mimi Matthews. This story grabs the reader from page one and doesn’t let up until the very end. I so enjoyed following along as Julia grows from a secluded, lonely, anxiety-ridden young girl into a strong, capable, independent woman. By the end of the novel, Julia is a force to be reckoned with. It’s AWESOME! I also thoroughly enjoyed figuring out Jasper. He is an enigma wrapped up in mystery. His storyline is my favorite — he’s so interesting! And he’s also the sweetest, strongest, most fierce Beast ever. I loved his almost-immediate need to protect Julia from all the villains of this world. As a former soldier, Jasper is all about paying attention to details. He assesses Julia and sees who she is and understands what she needs, he sees how her parents mistreat her, and he sees how much protection she needs against the approved suitors her parents have in mind for her. I love, love, love Jasper’s character. His ability to assess, his need to protect, and his sweetness towards Julia is perfection. And the chemistry between the two…I’m surprised I didn’t catch on fire! LOL! This story has some seriously steamy moments that had me swooning! And, yes, the nod to Beauty and the Beast is excellently done. Matthews has taken the beloved storyline we all know and love and has expertly turned it into something all her own. If all this isn’t enough to get you to pick up a copy of this fantastic story, I’ll add that the attention to historical detail is excellently done. I learned so much about the Crimean war experience, Victorian marriages, and some very uniquely interesting details about fake names. Matthews has definitely done her homework with this book!
The Belle of Belgrave Square is a truly wonderful Historical Romance that I cannot recommend enough. This book is GOOD! If you are a fan of well-written, well-researched Historicals with amazing Romance, then you definitely will want to purchase a copy of this novel ASAP!
I received a review copy of this novel in eBook form from the publisher, Berkley Romance, via AustenProse PR. In no way has this influenced my review. The opinions expressed in this review are my own.
Giveaway period: October 3 – October 30
Terms & Conditions: Giveaway is hosted by Mimi Matthews. No Purchase Necessary. Entrants must be 18 years or older. Open to US residents only. All information will remain confidential and will not be sold or otherwise used, except to notify the winner and to facilitate postage of the book to the winner. Void where prohibited.
Giveaway Details: One (1) winner (selected at random by Rafflecopter) will receive a paperback copy of The Belle of Belgrave Square, signed and annotated by the author with personal comments, underlining of her favorite lines, and other highlights by Mimi Matthews.
Giveaway is open from 12:01 am Pacific time, 10/03/22, until 11:59pm Pacific time on 10/30/22. The winner will be announced on Mimi’s blog on 10/31/22.